Monday, February 15, 2010

The itch that finally got scratched

I used to be really active with our volunteer fire department, and sometimes even multiple departments. Ever since I got pregnant and had Caden, I haven't really been able to participate. I'll be the first to admit that I am a trauma junkie. I LOVE a good car wreck with multiple patients. Don't get me wrong, I don't ever wish for anyone to get hurt, but as long as there are cars, there will be wrecks and I will be there to bandage the wounds. I get small doses of trauma at work, but we are by no means a Level I trauma center, so we get bypassed a lot on trauma. In bad weather we get quite a bit, but not enough on a regular basis to satisfy my needs. Anyway, now that my sister is here with us, I can actually leave Caden with her and go on wonderful trauma in the field. I finally got my chance last night. I told my husband that all I wanted for Valentine's Day was one good car wreck. We were supposed to get a bunch of snow so I was pretty sure that I would get my wish....and I did. We got a call last night for a rollover accident out on a road that is known for some good wrecks. I got to triage 3 patients and even fly one patient out to Lexington (the nearest trauma center). So my trauma itch got scratched last night. It won't last for long though.......

1 comment: